Wednesday, February 4, 2015
It always feels good to clear out the Christmas clutter and set up my space to welcome Spring!
Dried lavender bundles and boxwood wreaths!
I spent several days making these large signs and loved the way they turned out.
Pretty lavender sachets~
The newest piece I just brought in, a vintage vanity with a Paris theme.
A couple of handmade pillows~
Bring on Spring!
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
A recent dresser makeover. This cute little piece started out in that lovely forest green color that was so popular in the 80's and early 90's. It also had an extremely prominent crackle effect there was no way I could disguise, so I had to make it work for me.
I painted it with a mix of Annie Sloan Old White, Pure White and Emperor's Silk to create a pink color.
Next I added a vintage label image, then sealed the paint with clear wax. I also used an abundant amount of dark wax to get into all the crackle nooks and crannies.
This is a little more on the "shabby chic" side than I usually do, but it turned out rather cute!
In place and ready for sale at All That Jazz!
Wednesday, May 28, 2014
I've been horrible about blogging but thought I would share some pictures of what Jazz is looking like these days. This is Memorial Day Weekend!
I am always trying to shift and adjust to keep things fresh. Finding furniture to makeover and sell has been a real struggle lately but thankfully garage sale season is finally upon us and things are looking up! I miss hitting the garage sales in the winter.
Hope all is well with my followers, if I still have any!!!
Thursday, March 14, 2013
I spent the last several weeks, yes WEEKS, working on this zebra dining room table
and chair set. About a week in a customer got wind of what I was doing and wanted it!
She didn't need it right away so that gave me some time to get everything done and not
be rushed. It normally doesn't take me weeks to do a project!
The customer got to chose the image for her chairs. She actually chose two.
A crown for two of the chairs...
...and she wanted a fleur de lis with some french script on the other two.
The image I used has a crown as well so it tied back to the crown on the other chairs.
Last night the table and chairs went to the shop so the customer
could pick them up from there.
Love those zebra stripes!
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Last week I tackled my first Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint project.
THIS was my victim.
She had a few scratches and dings but was quite sturdy.
I chose the color Ironstone, After mixing the powdered milk paint with water, I went for it.
I didn't use the binding agent, as I wanted it to chip and flake and generally look well used.
There was no flaking after my first coat, not that your piece won't, this particular one just didn't.
The plan was to add several coats since I wanted it pretty white to contrast with any of the original finish that would show when the flaking happened.
At this point I began to see a bit of flaking on 2 of the drawer handles.
Yep, third coat. I think I had to mix more paint at this point. Since this is the first time I've used this product, learning how much paint to mix for each project will take some time. It might take a few pieces before I get that nailed down. The second time around I got the paint a bit too watery I think and drips were a bit of a problem, so I just kept checking my work for drips. I could have added more paint but I was too lazy and just wanted to get to the flaking part! I also kept stirring the paint to lift any sediments that had sunk to the bottom. Getting all the chunks out was a bit difficult and I think next time I may try shaking it in a container/jar with a lid. A plain spoon wasn't working and the only wire whisk I wanted to use was okay, but not great. I may also look for some small wire whisks for this very purpose. Now the directions tell you to mix for a solid 5 minutes and it could be that I didn't stir long enough. Again, too eager to get to that chipping and flaking part!
Definite flaking going on here!
Oh YEAH baby!
Oh YEAH baby!
4th and final coat of paint! The 2 drawers on the right had the most flaking going on and came off in a snap with my putty knife and fine grit sanding sponge. There wasn't much flaking on the rest of the vanity so I had to make my own. That was the fun part! The part I had been waiting for all along!
I let it sit overnight and when I came back, more paint had peeled on it's own so I rubbed it off. Next
I sealed with Miss Mustard Seed's Wax, twice on the top (where the heaviest use would be) and on the handles where there was heavy peeling.
I have to say, I think I am in love with the wax. It rubs in so smoothly and hardly has any odor whatsoever. I think it's going to be replacing my Annie Sloan Wax. Which is awful convenient since the shop where I have my space now sells The Miss Mustard Seed goodies!
I will tell you that I also used the Crackle Medium and didn't have a lot of luck with it. I had crackled paint in a couple places but not a lot so in the future I plan to experiment to figure out just what I did wrong and how to make it work. I may not have put it on thick enough.
I ended up with a little over half the bag of paint left, which may not seem like much but you have to remember when you paint things white over a dark stain, it always takes more paint to get good coverage. Other colors will most likely only take 2 coats or possibly even one, so it stretches pretty far.
Here she is in all her chippy shabby gloriousness at All That Jazz, awaiting a new home.
Overall it was a great experience. It was fun to try something new and see how it would react once it was added to furniture and the peeling/chipping/flaking part was the best! I'm excited to try other colors and the dark wax, which I'm told is fabulous too. Can't wait!